This is a generic mailing to the CEDAR community sent 08 Feb 2011. Meetings and jobs are listed at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu under 'Community' as 'Calendar of Meetings' and 'CEDAR related opportunities'. CEDAR email messages are under 'Community' as 'CEDAR email Newsletters'. All are in 'Quick Links' on the main page.
(1) Space physics research position in USGS - applications accepted from Feb 3-16. From Jeffrey J Love <jlove at usgs.gov>. See also http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=96283987&aid=50570994-4211&WT.mc_n=125
(2) Detailed Information on the Celebration of the Life of Paul M. Kintner, Jr. on Saturday March 26 at Cornell University with .pdf map. From: Laurie S. Shelton <ls55 at cornell.edu>.
(1) Space physics research position in USGS - applications accepted from Feb 3-16.
From Jeffrey J Love <jlove at usgs.gov>.
The USGS Geomagnetism Program (geomag.usgs.gov) invites applications for a permanent full-time research geophysicist (GS-1313-12, $73,848-$96,001/year + benefits). Duties will include (1) conducting scientific research in geomagnetism and space physics as related to the ionosphere and magnetosphere, (2) transitioning research projects into real-time operational settings. The duty station is Golden, Colorado. Applications will be accepted from Feb 3, 2011- Feb 16, 2011.
For applicants who are already Federal employees (“MP”): http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=96284205&aid=50570994-4211&WT.mc_n=125
For applicants from the general public (“DEU”): http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=96283987&aid=50570994-4211&WT.mc_n=125
Questions can be directed to Jeffrey J Love (email@example.com, 303-273-8540).
(2) Detailed Information on the Celebration of the Life of Paul M. Kintner, Jr. on Saturday March 26 at Cornell University with .pdf map.
From: Laurie S. Shelton <ls55 at cornell.edu>.
You are cordially invited to the Celebration of the Life of Paul M. Kintner, Jr. This event will feature speakers from the many facets of Paul's life. A reception will follow.
- Place: Cornell University, the Biotech Building, Room G10, Ithaca, NY
- Date & Time: Saturday, March 26, 2011, 3:00-5:30 pm
Please RSVP to Laurie Shelton <firstname.lastname@example.org> if you are likely to attend and include the number of people for planning purposes. If you have already sent an RSVP, thank you for your assistance.
If you would like to make a donation in Paul Kintner's memory, please see the donation section below for further details.
The Biotech building is located behind Teagle Hall on the Cornell campus. (The parking garage is across the street from Teagle and just below the football stadium.) Please enter the western (lake) side of the building. A map is attached for your convenience. (The map is best viewed when zoomed to 200%.)
Donations to the Paul M. Kintner Memorial Fund
The School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Cornell University has set up a memorial fund. Donations may be made by sending a check made out to "Cornell University" to Laurie Shelton, School of ECE, 304 Rhodes Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853. Alternatively, online donations via credit card may be made at https://www.giving.cornell.edu/give/index.cfm. Enter your gift amount, select "Other" for the designation, and type in "Paul M. Kintner Memorial Fund" in the box. All donations will benefit the ECE Department and its programs, are fully tax-deductible, and will be very much appreciated.
Our local airport is the Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport, but you might find cheaper fares by using the Elmira airport (~40 minutes away) or the Syracuse airport (~65 minutes away).
The following hotels are offering a special discounted rate for the nights of March 25 and 26. Arrangements must be made directly with the individual hotel; the hotel chains via 800 numbers or their web sites will not offer these rates. Also, you may wish to check all of the Ithaca area hotels for other discounts that may apply to you (AAA, etc.) and to compare prices.
The hotel shuttles will bring you to the celebration and pick you up afterward. If you prefer to drive, the Cornell parking garage offers free parking within a short walking distance.
For the discounted price listed below, ask for the Cornell rate.
(1) Courtyard Marriott: $109 (Call early. There is a limited number of rooms at this rate.)
29 Thornwood Dr.,· Ithaca, New York 14850, USA
- Located near the airport.
- This hotel has a smoke-free policy.
- Complimentary shuttle service to Tompkins Airport, Cornell, and the Commons available from 6:30 am - 11:00 pm.
- Complimentary WiFi and HD channels.
- High-speed internet, wired and wireless.
- Cardiovascular equipment, free weights, treadmills, universal, bikes, cross trainers, free weights.
- Indoor Pool and whirlpool.
- Free parking.
- Courtyard Cafe open for breakfast.
For the discounted prices listed below, ask for the Paul Kintner Memorial rate:
(2)Best Western: $119 (Rooms must be reserved by March 14, 2011.)
BEST WESTERN University Inn
1020 Ellis Hollow Road, Ithaca, New York 14850-2808
Phone: 607/272-6100 | Fax: 607/272-1518
- Closest location to campus.
- Deluxe continental breakfast, including make-your-own waffles, hot/cold cereals, French toast, yogurt, bagels, muffins, fresh fruit.
- 24-hour coffee/Tazo teas/decaffeinated coffee station.
- Free shuttle service to and from the Cornell campus and Tompkins Regional Airport, 7am-10:45pm daily.
- 24-hour business center
- 24-hour workout room
- All rooms have microwaves/minifridges, iron/ironing board, coffeemaker and hairdryer. Free wireless internet throughout the hotel.
The hotel is located in the East Hill Plaza, featuring a 24-hour grocery store, 5 restaurants, and a pharmacy.
(3)Hilton Garden Inn: $135 (Rooms must be reserved by March 14, 2011.)
Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca
130 E. Seneca Street
Ithaca, New York 14850
- Located downtown near the Ithaca Commons.
- Local Area Transportation (shuttle)
- Indoor heated pool with whirlpool
- Expansive fitness center (2 elliptical trainers, 3 treadmills, 1 stationary bike, 5 weight machines)
- Modern complimentary 24-hour business center with 2 Dell computers, color printing, faxing, and copying
- Secure PrinterOn® remote printing
- The Great American Grill Restaurant® offers breakfast, featuring made-to-order eggs
- Kilpatrick's Publick House (on-site Irish Pub) serves lunch, dinner, and evening room service seven days a week
- Starbucks® Coffee House, located onsite, serving seven days a week
- 24-hour Pavilion Pantry® offering convenient items including travel amenities, snacks, beverages and frozen foods
- 104 tower guest rooms, located on the 6-9 floors
- Complimentary high-speed Internet access (cable & wireless)
- Hospitality center (microwave, refrigerator, and coffeemaker)