This is a generic mailing to the CEDAR community sent 19 Feb 2011. Meetings and jobs are listed at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu under 'Community' as 'Calendar of Meetings' and 'CEDAR related opportunities'. CEDAR email messages are under 'Community' as 'CEDAR email Newsletters'. All are in 'Quick Links' on the main page.
(1) CEDAR-GEM joint workshops scheduled on-line: CEDAR only (not joint) Workshop proposals are due Friday March 4. From Barbara Emery (emery at ucar.edu) and Tim Fuller-Rowell (tim.fuller-rowell at noaa.gov). See also http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2011_Workshop:Main under "Individual Workshops", "Conveners of CEDAR Workshops not joint with GEM".
(2) Graduate Assistantships Available for PhD Program in Engineering Physics at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida - applications due 15 March. From John Olivero (oliveroj at erau.edu). See also http://www.erau.edu/phd-engineering-physics
(3) Call For GEOScan Workshop Participation and Registration 27-30 March at Annapolis, MD. From Jonathan Fentzke (Jonathan.Fentzke@jhuapl.edu). See also http://workshops.jhuapl.edu/geoscan/ and http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/images/3/3d/GEOScan11.pdf .pdf announcement of GEOScan workshop
(1) CEDAR-GEM joint workshops scheduled on-line: CEDAR only (not joint) Workshop proposals are due Friday March 4.
From Barbara Emery (emery at ucar.edu) and Tim Fuller-Rowell (tim.fuller-rowell at noaa.gov).
The joint CEDAR-GEM student workshop is on Sunday June 26 and is given by and is only open to students. Fifty hours of proposed joint CEDAR-GEM individual workshops listed at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/Special:CEDAR-GEM_Joint_Workshop_Proposal_List have been accepted and scheduled on the agenda at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2011_Workshop:Agenda from Monday June 27 through Thursday June 30, where Friday July 1 has been left open for more individual and separated GEM and CEDAR activities. The joint CEDAR-GEM workshops are scheduled in 25 2-h slots, where 2 slots have been labeled as GEM focus groups instead of as joint workshops.
CEDAR-only (not joint) workshops listed before 1 February at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/Special:CEDAR_Workshop_Proposal_List have been provisionally scheduled on the agenda. CEDAR-only proposed workshops are due on Friday March 4. Please submit your CEDAR-only workshops at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2011_Workshop:Main under "Individual Workshops", "Conveners of CEDAR Workshops not joint with GEM" using your cedar webname and password.
Please note that the focus of the coming CEDAR workshop is the joint activities with GEM. Please see the existing joint workshop schedule, which is listed in the agenda. Please do not propose an additional workshop if your topic is already covered adequately by one of the current joint workshops. If you do decide to proceed with proposing a CEDAR specific workshop, please state which, if any, of the Joint workshop you would prefer not to conflict with. With the focus on joint workshops, time for CEDAR-specific workshops may be more limited this year, so the committee cannot guarantee that all workshop proposals will be accepted.
Requests for GEM-only focus-group workshops should be submitted to Bob Clauer at rclauer at vt.edu. The GEM and CEDAR only (not joint) workshops will be scheduled on the CEDAR-GEM agenda at a later time.
(2) Graduate Assistantships Available for PhD Program in Engineering Physics at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida - applications due 15 March.
From John Olivero (oliveroj at erau.edu).
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (Daytona Beach, FL) announces the availability of several Graduate Assistantships to begin each year for incoming Engineering Physics PhD students. These assistantships cover full tuition and fees plus a $20,000 per year stipend. Applicants must have completed an M.S. in physics or engineering in order to prepare for this program, which combines spacecraft systems engineering with space physics--thus building upon existing B.S. and M.S. programs in Engineering Physics at ERAU with the same emphasis. The application deadline for Fall 2011 admission will be 15 March 2011. The application fee has been waived. Detailed program information may be found at: http://www.erau.edu/phd-engineering-physics. Questions may be directed to Dr. John Olivero, Chair, Physical Sciences Department, email@example.com or call 386-226-6453.
(3) Call For GEOScan Workshop Participation and Registration 27-30 March at Annapolis, MD.
From Jonathan Fentzke (Jonathan.Fentzke@jhuapl.edu).
The organizers and steering committee of the GEOScan Planning Workshop invite you to participate in a 2.5-day workshop that is open to the entire Geosciences community. GEOScan is a grassroots effort envisioned as an NSF GEO facility from space that will bring a revolutionary capability of massively dense global observations facilitated by system and hosted payloads on the Iridium NEXT satellite constellation.
The dual theme concept of GEOScan involves System Science (SS) sensors on all 66 Iridium NEXT satellites as well as Hosted Sensor (HS) suites that can accommodate unique payloads in a standard, CubeSat-like configuration on individual satellites. This configuration helps us to address the needs of a number of sponsors and a broad scientific community engaged in geospace system science.
Participants are encouraged to submit presentations covering both/either science goals and candidate sensors. In addition, some level of travel support should be available based on the number of participants in need.
The results of the workshop will culminate in the selection of the system sensors and scientific goals of the proposed program, which will be reported to the National Science Foundation and the community at large.
Full Workshop information, registration and abstract submission are available at: http://workshops.jhuapl.edu/geoscan/
- Workshop Dates: March 27-30, 2011
- Workshop Outline:
- March 27: Evening Icebreaker reception
- March 28-29: Two full-day community presentations and discussions on science goals and candidate sensors.
- March 30: (8am-noon) Steering Committee meeting, open to anyone interested in providing input for the Conceptual Design report.
- Location: Historic Inns of Annapolis, Maryland: http://www.historicinnsofannapolis.com
- Registration Deadline: 03/28/11
- Contact the Local Organizing Committee with Questions:
- Lars Dyrud (Lars.Dyrud@jhuapl.edu)
- Brian Anderson (Brian.Anderson@jhuapl.edu)
- Jonathan Fentzke (Jonathan.Fentzke@jhuapl.edu)
- http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/images/3/3d/GEOScan11.pdf .pdf announcement of GEOScan workshop suitable for posting as a flyer
Supported by: The National Science Foundation