CEDAR email sent on 22 April 2014
(1) Propose your location for the June 2016 and 2017 CEDAR and GEM Workshops by June 5! From Barbara Emery (emery at ucar.edu) and Xia Cai <x.cai at vt.edu> and the GEM-CEDAR committee. See also http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/Workshop:Workshop_Requirements
(2) CEDAR Workshops scheduled on agenda on-line and deadlines for 2014 CEDAR Workshop, June 22-26, Seattle, WA. From Barbara Emery (emery at ucar.edu). See also http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2014_Workshop:Main
(3) GEM Agenda on-line and deadlines for 2014 GEM Summer Workshop, June 15-20, Portsmouth, Virginia. From Xia Cai <xcai at vt.edu> and Robert Clauer <rclauer at vt.edu>. See also http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html
(1) Propose your location for the June 2016 and 2017 CEDAR and GEM Workshops by June 5!
From Barbara Emery (emery at ucar.edu) and Xia Cai <x.cai at vt.edu> and the GEM-CEDAR committee.
Proposals are being sought from institutions wishing to host the 2016 and 2017 CEDAR and GEM workshops which will probably meet separate weeks, but at the same location. The proposals may be free format but should conform to the constraints and address the issues raised below. The major costs should be estimated: student lodging, non-student lodging, catering, overhead, meeting space, air fares, poster rental, A/V, conference fees etc. Preference will be given to institutions with strong local CEDAR or GEM science communities, including a student base. This is an opportunity to promote and build CEDAR and GEM science at your institution. Please propose by Monday June 5 via email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested institutions are strongly encouraged before submitting their proposal to have their administrative lead directly contact Kendra Greb of CEDAR (email@example.com, 303-497-1605) and Xia Cai of GEM (pronounce: Shia Chua, firstname.lastname@example.org, 757-325-6790) in order to help the CEDAR and GEM communities make assessments for their respective groups.
The requirements are listed below and also at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/Workshop:Workshop_Requirements A location will be chosen by the GEM-CEDAR committee with input from their respective Science Steering Committees during and shortly after their annual June 2014 workshops. Some of the larger numbers below are for the CEDAR Workshop requirements, but anything that can host CEDAR can also host GEM.
- 1) The workshops must occur between the third and fifth weeks of June for ~380
total participants, where the 2 workshops meet jointly in-between on a weekend.
- 2) Each proposal should identify a lead scientific contact.
- 3) Each proposal should identify a lead administrative contact, who may be from
Conference Services/Management, where we would like an estimated cost of their services as well, including any overhead rates (see #4 also).
- 4) Overhead rates should be known in advance, since this is a significant extra expense at academic institutions.
- 5) A venue capable of seating 500 people for plenary sessions must be available.
- 6) A venue for dinner with a scientific speaker with banquet seating for 400 people.
- 7) Poster space for 46 8x4 posters (~5000-6000 sq ft) must be available. (THIS IS NOT TO BE
SHARED WITH OTHER SPACE, except perhaps with the dinner listed above!)
- 8) Four extra rooms for workshops capable of seating ~100 people should be
- 9) Wireless internet connections are mandatory at the meeting site, and estimated A/V costs,
including costs of an A/V technician are desirable.
- 10)Catering costs are not likely to be per person which is more expensive, but based on menu
selections, so please include catering menus for Food and Beverage pricing.
- 11) The cost of airfare to the destination city or close-by (within ~2h) is a consideration
and should be addressed. It is advantageous to have non-stop flights for most people, but not required.
- 12) Inexpensive options for housing ~130 students at approximately $50/night
should be locally available.
- 13) Lodging for ~250 non-students relatively close to the meeting venue with
parking options described for the lodging and the meeting location(s).
- 14) The availability of restaurants within walking distance is advantageous and
should be addressed or the necessity to shuttle to relatively nearby (~10 min drive) restaurants
- 15) Extracurricular activities nearby are also advantageous.
(2) CEDAR Workshops scheduled on agenda on-line and deadlines for 2014 CEDAR Workshop, June 22-26, Seattle, WA.
From Barbara Emery (emery at ucar.edu).
The CEDAR 2014 Summer Workshop will be held at Kane Hall at the University of Washington in Seattle where the main workshop link is at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2014_Workshop:Main with links to the agenda and individual workshop pages. This year, the two tutorial speakers are in conjunction with the two Grand Challenge Workshops on Tuesday and Wednesday. The Prize Lecture by Jeffrey Forbes is Monday, and the Distinguished Lecture by Rod Heelis is Thursday. The community dinner with speaker Aaron Ridley is Sunday evening. The agenda and individual workshop pages linked to the agenda are at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2014_Workshop:Agenda
On-line registration is open. Students need not pay when they register, but can have their admin person sign on their account and pay for them. Information about student airline reimbursement, lodging etc, and non-student lodging and airport shuttle information are listed at the bottom of the workshop page under "General Information".
Abstracts can be added later to the on-line registration and are due Friday May 16. Important deadlines are:
- Friday May 16 - poster abstracts due and student registrations due (along with requests for dorm lodging)
- Monday May 19 - student airline documentation sent in so they can be reimbursed at the workshop
- Sunday May 25 - for CEDAR lodging blocks at the Deca and Silver Cloud hotels
- Friday May 30 - for non-student registrations before $75 late fee imposed Monday June 2
(3) GEM Agenda on-line and deadlines for 2014 GEM Summer Workshop, June 15-20, Portsmouth, Virginia.
From Xia Cai <xcai at vt.edu> and Robert Clauer <rclauer at vt.edu>.
The GEM 2014 Summer Workshop will be held from June 15-20 at Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel & Conference Center, Portsmouth, Virginia. The registration is now open at http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html .
The agenda is now available online at the Workshop website: http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/schedule.html .
Please note the following important dates:
- - Deadline for poster submissions: Wednesday, June 4, 2014
- - Last day to pay the early registration fee: Wednesday, May 14, 2014
- - Last day to make lodging reservations and receive the discounted rate:
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
To make lodging reservation, you could call The Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel & Conference Center at 1-888-236-2427 or 757-673-3000 or online at:
The link is specific to our group. Please copy and paste the link into your web browser address if you could not open directly.
Contact Xia Cai at (email@example.com) if you have any question regarding the Workshop.