The College, Alaska Fabry-Perot interferometer was located on the roof of the Geophysical Institute in the years reported here (1981-1983). This is at 64.7N and 148.1W in geographic coordinates, where the corrected geomagnetic coordinates are 64.9N and 100.3W. This is relatively close to the Chatanika incoherent scatter radar site at 65.1N and 147.4W, which operated between 1971 and 1982. The IGRF model gives a magnetic declination angle of about 25 degrees and inclination angle of 76 degrees for the measurement period. However, the measurements were made relative to the magnetic field direction where the declination was assumed to be 30 degrees. This is not significantly different from the true declination, so the derived horizontal results are reported as being in the magnetic directions. The measurements are all at 630.0 nm. All nights included are clear, or had cloudy periods removed.
The zenith measurements are assumed to be on average zero throughout the night. All other measurements were taken in directions relative to the magnetic E, N, W and S directions at elevations angles between 20 and 45 degrees, and were converted to horizontal directions assuming an emission layer centered at 225 km.
The intensities are relative, (Code 2505) but are approximately within 25% of the true intensities in Rayleighs.
Summary plots of the relative emission, neutral temeprature and vertical wind are plotted with error bars for the vertical look direction. For look directions in opposite magnetic directions, horizontal winds are plotted without error bars.
References for the instrument and data processing procedures
Hernandez, G. et al., Equal-noise spectroscopic measurement, Appl. Opt., 915, 1984.
Hernandez, G., Fabry-Perot Interferometers, Cambridge University Press, 1986.
Sica, R. J., Auroral zone thermospheric dynamics using Fabry-Perot interferometric measurements of the OI 15867K emission, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Alaska, 1984.
Sica, R. J., et al., Auroral zone thermospheric dynamics 1. Averages, J. Geophys. Res., 3231-3244, 1986
Sica, R. J., et al., Auroral zone thermospheric dynamics 2. Individual nights, J. Geophys. Res., 13593-13611, 1986.
Sica, R. J. et al., The control of auroral zone dynamics and thermodynamics by the interplanetary magnetic field dawn-dusk (Y) component, J. Geophys. Res., 11921-11932, 1989.
Sica, R. J., The altitude region sampled by ground-based Doppler temperature measurements of the OI 15867K emission line in aurorae, Planet. Space Sci., 483-488, 1986.
Summary Plots for College Fabry-Perot in OI (6300 A)
- Mar 2-Mar 11, 1981 All data for this period
- Mar 22-Mar 31, 1981 All data for this period
- Apr 1-Apr 10, 1981 All data for this period
- Feb 20-Mar 1, 1982 All data for this period
- Mar 22-Mar 31, 1982 All data for this period
- Apr 21-Apr 30, 1982 All data for this period
- Nov 12-Nov 21, 1982 All data for this period
- Dec 12-Dec 21, 1982 All data for this period
- Jan 31-Feb 9, 1983 All data for this period
- Feb 10-Feb 19, 1983 All data for this period
- Mar 2-Mar 11, 1983 All data for this period
- Mar 12-Mar 21, 1983 All data for this period
- Apr 1-Apr 10, 1983 All data for this period
- Apr 11-Apr 20, 1983 All data for this period
- Apr 21-Apr 30, 1983 All data for this period
-Revised 22 June 2000 by Barbara Emery